Paint Grade CMC （Sodium Carboxymethyl Cellulose）
Paint Grade CMC
Loss on Drying (%)
CMC is macromolecule compound with multichain, and the linear chain will open, spread, interact and form the network collide after the water swelling. Meanwhile, the macromolecule chain with oxhydryl has hydration with water and twine with each other, and then increase the water phase viscosity. It has the excellent compatibility in water or in organic solvent, as well as the pigment. It used as thickener, dispersant and stabilizer in coating industry.
Application in Regular Coating
CMC’ s oxhydryl macromolecule chain has hydration with water and twine with each other, and then increase the water phase viscosity. It has the excellent compatibility in water or in organic solvent, as well as the pigment. It also can greatly improve the viscosity and rheology, and it used as thickener, dispersant and stabilizer in coating industry. CMC which is applied in water-solube coating will show the effect as follows:
1. Good water resistance and filming durability;
2. High fullness of filming, well-distributed of filming, and highlight acquirable,
3. As the stabilizer, it can prevent the paint-coat from being apart due to the abrupt change of the temperature ;
4. As the protective colloid, it can maintain the stability of coating system in the wider range of pH value;
5. As the thickener, it can make the coat well-distributed, and achieve to the expected viscosity for storage and construction, and avoid the serious stratification during the period of storage.
6. Enhance the coat leveling property, anti splash and anti sagging, so that improve the construction workability;
7. Make the additives like pigment and filler be dispersed in the coat and the coat will show the excellent effect of pigment adhesion.
Application in Latex Paint
Latex paint mainly composed of polymer water dispersion and pigment water dispersion. Its viscosity has the influence on settleability, brushability, roll coating, fullness of film, levelling property and the sagging property on the film vertical surface, so it will often adjust the viscosity and rheology of latex paint. While CMC has the advantages of good rheology, small resistance of brush coating, easy for construction, and thus it used as the stabilizer, thickener and water retention agent.
1. Good thickening effect, high efficiency for latex paint thickening
2. Be with stability property., and make the paint a certain viscosity with no residue in storage;
3. Make the moisture permeate the porous substrate slowly, and maintain the water when the latex content is high;
4. Less limitation on paint formula, small effect by collide type, dispersant and surface active agent;
5. Coating finishes, and the water action with the CMC will terminate. Regain the viscosity and avoid sagging.